Dear Member or Prospective Member,
I am Millie Ryan, President of the Alaska Mobility Coalition.
Thank you for your membership and interest in the work of our nonprofit organization, a statewide coalition formed to promote coordinated transportation options for residents and visitors of Alaska.
This coming session in Juneau, our vigorous advocacy agenda will continue with support from our transit providers and board members and the addition of a paid lobbyist. Please note that no public funds will be used for lobbying activities.
- Support Human Services Transportation Grant Program: We support capital funding for the Human Services Transportation Grant program–for FY 23, this means $250 K in Alaska Mental Health Trust Authority funding, matched with $1 million in state general funds, primarily to support the transit needs of the Alaska Mental Health Trust beneficiaries. AMC is working with the Trust to make it easier for grantees to apply for these flexible transportation funds.
- Transit Match Funding: For many years, the State put in General Fund dollars to help transit providers with their local match requirements for various federal transit program grants they were eligible for but needed help meeting their federal match requirement. The amount has varied yearly, from $500 K to $1.5 M, and has not been in the budget for four years. The Legislature should provide $1 Million to transit sub-recipients to help meet local match requirements as needed.
- Put Transit in Statute: The Department of Transportation and Public Facilities (DOT) has many responsibilities in its enabling statute, but none deal directly with public and community transportation. It is time that public and community transportation be specified and that DOT then includes public and community transport in all their reporting and plan development documents.
- Explore Semi-Annual Public and Community Transportation Conference: DOT has not held a statewide conference for public and community transportation providers for seven years. It is time to bring back at least a bi-annual (every two years) training and networking conference in the State. AMC stands ready to help organize and run as they did years ago.
Save Date and Attend Annual Meeting on November 9 at 4:00 PM:
We have invited a guest speaker—Robin Philips, Executive Director of the National Rural Transit Assistance Program, or RTAP, who will update us on their training modules and other training and funding opportunities for our members.
- Topic: Alaska Mobility Coalition Annual Meeting
- Time: November 9, 2023, 04:00 PM Alaska, Board Members 03:45 PM Alaska
- Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86763740559
- Meeting ID: 867 6374 0559
- Passcode: 626520
- One tap mobile: US: +16694449171,,86763740559# or +16699009128,,86763740559#
Please continue to help us advocate for the transportation needs of Alaskans!
- Renew your membership via the enclosed invoice or online through our website: https://alaskamobility.org/about/president-message/join-online/
- Help us grow from 36 to 50 active members through your influence. Which individual and what organization are you engaged with who should support AMC?
- Join the board. We are looking for a few new board members to fill vacant seats, so if you are interested, let us know!
Visit Our Updated Website
Our website is an easy read about our organization, our legislative priorities, event updates, links to active member websites, subscribing online, and more: https://alaskamobility.org/. Contact our Coordinator, Lisa Reinhart, for assistance. Her phone is 907.343.9093, email alaskamobilitycoaltion.com.
Millie Ryan, President, Alaska Mobility Coalition